Saturday, March 15, 2008

Denial is not just a river in Egypt

I know from prior experience that my tension for knitting flat and knitting in the round is different. I know from experience that I usually need to go one size up to get the same tension. I still started my sleeves on the same size I used for the body.

The tension is different. NOTICEABLY different. I have been ignoring this in the hope that I will be visited by the fairy godknitter who will wave her magic needles and make it all right.

I have to stop lying to myself. I will be entering the frog pond and starting over on the sleeves.

WHY DO I DO THIS TO MYSELF?

At least I am nearly finished with the baby blanket – all on one size needle, all in the round, no chance of messing that up.

4 comments:

Holly said...

Before you frog - look at the fabric. Do you like how it looks and feels? Is it big enough? Do you have enough yarn to just keep going in this needle size?

you might just be able to keep on going!

Josiane said...

I hope you weren't too far on the sleeves, and that frogging won't be too painful!
I've made a nice big swatch, but I've been a bit lazy and have swatched flat - and since I turned Mr Greenjeans into a pullover, I'm knitting it in the round. Yeah, my gauge is different too, and I went with the needle size that was right in my flat swatch, but I seem to be lucky as everything looks and fits great so far. I hope it will remain true!

Jayne said...

I have looked at the fabric. I would need many, many glasses of wine to believe that it is the same as that on the body. It is tighter, the stitches are obviously smaller, and it even feels diferent. I have just eaten 4 chocolate eclairs and will see about meeting a friend for coffee to prepare myself for frogging. Weather isn't helping either - cold, raining, miserable - wonderful for ducks AND frogs.

Rip-it, rip-it, rip-it

Knitsnpurls said...

Oh, Jayne, I feel for you. I think we've all been there--I know I have. What is it about us that we keep knitting and knitting, knowing in our heart of hearts that it's all wrong?!? Cold, wet, and miserable here too in BC.