I'll go with a quickie for today, to show you all the picture I took two days ago:
I am extremely happy with the fit so far! As you can see, I am mirroring the cables, and have omitted the k4 rib where the mirrored cables meet (center front, center back, and both sides).
Since the picture was taken, I have gone back to the larger size needles, in an attempt to make the sweater follow my curves. I've only added about an inch or two since then, so I'm not far enough yet to tell if it has the effect I was looking for.
I must say that putting the sweater on waste yarn to try it on considerably slows the knitting down. Not because it takes that long to put the stitches on waste yarn and put them back on the needles, but because once I try the sweater on, I don't want to take it off!